Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What to do about nothing...


After a couple of weeks of rest, my arm is practically back to normal.   The doctor says that I should not lean it on anything.   I am now aware that I lean on everything, or at least I did.  I am being much more aware and careful.

So what does a knitter do when there is no knitting, driving, typing, or mousing allowed?   All I can say is thank heavens I like to read.    I have kept a pretty steady book a day thing going, which means that I have more than a couple really good books to recommend to you. 

The first one I want to tell you about is Ann Shayne's Bowling Avenue: A Novel.   Now we all know Ms. Shayne as half of the talented duo that brings us Mason-Dixon Knitting, and two ageless knitting books (Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters Guide & Mason-Dixon Knitting: Outside the Lines).   When I read that she was self-publishing her first novel I rushed to download it mostly out of loyalty, not really expecting to love the book.  I should have had more faith.

As I worked my way through the huge backlog of books, purchased but not read, on my Kindle, I came across Bowling Avenue and decided to go for it.   Almost from the moment I started reading I was hooked.   When I Tweeted that Hubby & son were getting left overs because I could not pull myself away, Ann offered to send virtual lasagna (Hence the loyalty.  I like this woman).  The story is compelling and the writing excellent.    I loved the evolving dynamics between the main character and her mother, sympathized with the dead sister's husband & children, and did not care for the prospective boyfriend a keeper (which in no way effected my enjoyment of the book).   I laughed, I cried, I cringed.   This is a five star, can't miss book.   Do yourself a favor and read it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment