Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What I am doing with my summer vacation...



I am not happy with our living room.    The furniture was just right for the space when we bought it but unfortunately that was in NJ.   Here in FL, we have one big great room (rather than living & family rooms), and we get quite a bit less natural light to brighten things up.   There our furniture looked elegant.   Here it looks drab.

New furniture is out of the question.   As are new rugs.   At first I thought there was nothing I could do about it (except wait for the boys to finish college so that I can buy all new).    But, it gradually (very gradually) dawned on my that there are some things I can do.    I actually like the wall where we have the TV so I can not touch that.   New cushions for the couch will, I hope, help.    I can knit a cover for our ottomans so that they match and are brighter (the more I think about that idea, the more I like it), and I can re-paint the end and breakfast tables.

My first step was to think long and hard about the colors I would use.   A while ago, I stopped a bemused lady at TJMaxx and got permission to take a photo of the quilt she was buying just because I love the colors.   Once I determined that those colors would, if fact, both compliment and brighten up, our existing furniture, I used Sherman Williams Chip It to create a color pallet (this is my first time using Chip It and I am already in love with it).   What you see above is, I hope, the new color scheme for our living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment