Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pink yarn in a crown...

Two Sundays ago, I found out that someone I like very much had been diagnosed with breast cancer.   She was scheduled for a bilateral mastectomy two weeks later.   Wow, don't you sometimes wish you could just hug someone's problems away?   I immediately started thinking that, of course, the Caring Committee would give her one of our shawls (who better, since she is on that committee herself), but I wanted to make her something from me as well.

I fussed and bothered and could not even sleep that night wondering what would be just right.   Then, as he was leaving for work the next morning, Hubby suggested I make her a pair of socks.   Yes!  That man is so smart (and sweet, and funny, etc.).   His was the perfect solution.   I had a bit of mama drama to deal with that day but before I left the house, I dove into the stash and came up with a single skein of Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock yarn in Flamingo Stripe (20% of all proceeds on this color are donated to breast cancer charities).  Perfect!

A hour later I cast on while chatting with my mother.   Less than a week later, on Friday night,  I bound off the first sock.   I was on a roll.   I remember thinking that, if I put my mind to it, I could knit the second sock on Saturday.   That was never going to happen.   Still, I was sure to have them both done and ready to be delivered by the Wednesday before her surgery (when I was planning to be in her neighborhood).  

That, apparently, was also not destined to be.   I woke up last Monday to an attack of vertigo.   Now, as mentioned before, I have Menier's Disease, so this is not an unknown state of being for me.   However, circumstances were such that I could not just take my meds and sleep it off.   My mother had a Dr's appointment and T1 was up North visiting, so as soon as I was mobile (woozy but not spinning) I had to drive to Jax to take my mother to her appointment (Yes, I could have insisted that she reschedule but at the time it did not seem worth the drama).   Pushing myself before I was physically able, predictably, came back to bite me in the arse.   Not only did I end that day as dizzy as I began it but I stayed pretty ill and/or zonked from the meds for the next 48 hours.   I was not able to knit anything requiring actual thought (i.e.a sock heel) for several days.

Still, all was not lost, by the end of the week I was feeling steadier (although I am still not able to drive).   It was close but I finished the socks on Saturday night.   We were able to deliver them (and the Comfort Shawl) on Sunday after church.   However, in the rush, I forgot to take pictures.  That is why all you see at the top of this post is the leftover yarn sitting in a pretty crown (it's a magnifying glass).

The friend in question had her surgery yesterday.  All went well and there was no sign of cancer in her lymph nodes.  Whatever your spiritual leanings, please keep M.K. in your thoughts and prayers.  She is a lovely and loving lady who really appreciates hand-knits.

No comments:

Post a Comment