Monday, September 16, 2013

Easy Peasy Knitting



Finally one of my "secret" knitting projects can be shown.   This is the shawl I whipped up for a friend who lost her mother.   The minute I heard, I knew that I would knit her a shawl.   This friend is a knitter from New England.   She understands the healing power of wool.   

A quick trip to the Sew & Quilt [and yarn] Shop, a couple of hanks of  Ella Rae Lace Merino Chunky  and I was good to go.   The first time I finished it, it was too small.   I ripped it out and re-knit it on bigger needles.   The new size was good but boring.   Another trip to S&Q  some knitting, some ripping,  more knitting & a little crochet and I had a border I liked.   She loved it.   I am so glad.

The pattern itself was so simple as to not merit a "real" pattern.   

So here it is, easy peasy:

I used three hanks of Ella Rae Lace Merino Chunky & US11 needles, but this pattern would work with any yarn.   Just remember to change your needle size to match your yarn.

Cast on 7 stitches

Row 1:   Knit front & back, knit to the last stitch, knit front & back.

Repeat row 1 (increasing in the first and last stitch) until you are happy with the size.   Remember to leave yourself enough yarn to cast off. 


PIck-up stitches along sides and bottom

Now, you have two choices, 

knit two rows and end with a picot bind-off

or you can do what I did:

using a corresponding crochet hook, crochet two rows and end with a picot edging.

Weave your ends & you are done.   I did not block it, but if the bottom curls, you may want to.

I started the first one at dinner on Thursday and finished it at dinner that Saturday.   The second took longer, but mostly because I had less attention to give it.   Even then, it only took a week.




No comments:

Post a Comment