Sunday, December 5, 2010

I Heart Peppermint Mocha Lattes


Like most converts, I have gone off the deep end.   It may have taken me longer to appreciate Starbucks than the rest of the country but now that I have found it, I am enjoying myself immensely.   Coffee monogamy, however, does not seem to be in my make-up.   Pumpkin Spice is just so last month.  My new sinful indulgence is Peppermint Mocha Latte's.   OMG, I am totally hooked on their chocolaty goodness.   The fact that I can get them decaf, non-fat, & very short, only makes them better (If you look at them that way, they are practically health food.).   As you can see, I am so enamored, that I had to embroider my devotion onto this cup cozy (Thank you Wild Olive for inspiring me.).

Sadly, as with the Pumpkin Spice Lattes, two or three a day (T2, T1, & me, my diet does not allow for more than one short one a day) was adding up fast.  So, once again, I experimented until I could create them at home.    This copy cat creation took longer then the last one and is no more or less diabetes friendly than the store bought ones.    However, after a few near misses, and at least two spectacular failures, I think we finally have it.    Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Lisa's Peppermint Mocha Latte

4 oz espresso or extra bold coffee
1 tsp Splenda Sugar Blend
3 Tbsp Starbucks Peppermint Syrup (I tried another brand but did not care for it)
2 Tbsp Ghiradelli Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
8 oz 1% Milk

Prepare coffee & set aside

In sauce pan, combine milk, Splenda Blend, peppermint syrup, cocoa.
Bring to a bubble, stirring often.
Remove from heat & add coffee
Stir & enjoy

NOTES:  For coffee I use either Keurig's Green Mountain Espresso Blend (made on the 4 oz setting), or one packet of Starbucks Via Decaf Italian Roast prepared as directed (use 4 oz per latte).   Also, I tried another brand of Peppermint Syrup because it came in a sugar-free.   It was vile.   At this time, Starbucks does not carry a sugar free peppermint syrup (I happily use their other s/f syrups).   As written, this drink kills a whopping 299 calories.   I am hoping that Starbucks will expand their selection or that I will happen upon anoher brand that tastes just as good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment