Saturday, March 12, 2011

Wrap a bowl...

Wrap Bowl Before
Last Friday, I took a wrap bowl class a fairly new local quilt shop (Cinnamon's Quilt Shoppe).    The shop itself is lovely, the teaching space is clean and spacious, and the teacher was terrific.   I will definitely be taking more classes here.    The only problem was my sewing machine.   Although is quite old (got it as a gift while preggers with my 14yo), it has only started giving my problems recently.    I had put a new one on my birthday list and was content to wait, until I spent the first hour of this three hour class trying to get it the tensioner to stop eating the thread.   Due to this delay, and the fact that I wanted a bigger bowl then the class was meant for, this is what I  went home with (pretty even in its unfinished state).

Wrap Bowl During
The first thing I did when I got home was to order my new machine from Amazon.   Now I was not looking for something awesome here, just a good, reliable, workhorse that I can take to classes and use at home when I don't have the stamina for my bigger, more complicated machine.   After looking at prices and reviews, I ordered the Brother CS6000i.    It got great reviews and the price was killer on Amazon.

Wrap Bowl After
My new machine arrived on Wednesday but I was not able to take the time to get to know it (and finish my bowl) until today.   So here it is, my first wrap bowl.   This project was fun and easy.   I can't wait to make more.

If you are interested in wrap bowls, It's a Wrap: Sewing Fabric Purses, Baskets, And Bowls and It's a Wrap II: Sewing New Shapes, Exploring New Techniques were recommended by the person who signed me up for the class.    I have them both but did not need them for class and have not made any of the projects in them.   Over time, I probably will, though.    I am really intrigued by the tote bags made using this method.


1 comment:

  1. We have the same sewing machine now can I make one of these bowls?! yours is beautiful especially as a tote!

    btw, I'm andi from Lunch It Punch It thanks for adding our badge.

    ReplyDelete