Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Before the after...


What you see here, is the "before" photo of my Bias Before & After Scarf.    I know it does not look like much now, but, as I understand it, that is the nature of the beast.    We are promised that once this baby has been washed, blocked & steamed, it will be a thing of beauty.

On the one hand, I look at it in its curly, uneven state and have my doubts.  On the other, the pattern comes to us from Churchmouse Yarns & Teas, one of my absolute favorite sources for lovely yarns & reliable patterns.  I choose to trust.

So far I have bought & downloaded all of my Churchmouse patterns directly from their website, but have since realized that I can get them from Ravelry (here), which would leave a copy in my Ravelry library.  In future I may go that way.

As expected, this pattern is clearly written, easy to follow and well laid out.   The original Bias Before & After Scarf ($5) calls for  Classic Elite Silky Alpaca Lace yarn.  However, there is an addendum (here) that gives the necessary information to knit the scarf with a single skein of Louet's Euroflax Sport Weight Linen yarn.   I had two single skeins (pale green & pink) in my stash, and the intended recipients live here in FL, so I went with the linen/addendum version.   

From cast-on to bind-off took me a week.   While I did work on it every day, it was in my purse so only got my attention when I was out & about.  The knitting was so wonderfully mindless that I was able to work  while riding in the car, talking to friends and even at the movies (Hope Springs, it was okay).    The process of adding the beads at either end, however, was more than a bit fiddly and required my full attention to get the job done.  

I began the pink scarf the same day I finished the green one and given how fast they knit up, may wait until they are both done to block them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment