Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Why yes, I have been knitting


Recently Kay Gardiner featured the Hampstead Wreath on her blog (Kay is half of the creative team that brings us Mason-Dixon Knitting).   This pattern, created by Wendy Baker and Belinda Boaden of True-Brit Knits, is offered as a fund raiser for those hit by the devastation of Hurricane Sandy.  Until 1Jan13, all proceeds will go to to Citymeals NY  to help support the services they offer elderly New Yorkers.

How could I resist?   The original pattern calls for  Sirdar's Big Softie  but this one (found here)  was made with two strands of worsted wt. instead.   I liked that idea so I ran out to my nearest big box yarn store and grabbed a skein of blue and one of white (my favorite Christmas color combination) of Martha Stewart's Extra Soft Wool Blend.   Stranded together they were perfect.   The cabled wreath was easy peasy (a great beginner cable pattern).   The fact that it took me a whole week was due to a combination of laziness and distraction since the first half was done before I went to bed on the day I cast on.   As for the embellishments, I am waffling.   PomPoms are not really my thing.   I do love the leaves and berries here and may just go that way. I am also considering knitting/crocheting a poinsettia (lots of choices on Ravelry) or Lucy’s Triple Layered Flower and leaves or her leaves with her Little Balls.  Aren’t choices wonderful J.

No comments:

Post a Comment