Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Design: Yarn & Roses


The design process continues.   As you can see, the Sea Silk (Glacier) has arrived (ordered from here).  The color is not what I thought it was when I ordered it, it is even better.   Now that I have the yarn in hand, I am sure that I want to create an infinity scarf.  Since the purported calming effects of seaweed are what attracted me to this yarn in the first place, I am drawn to the idea of being able to wrap it around myself (like a seaweed wrap but sans the mess).

My search for the perfect stitch will likely begin with Principles of Knitting (in large part because I have the digital version on all of my devices), if nothing calls to me there, I will move on to Barbara Walker's Treasuries of Knitting Patterns, the Vogue Stitchionary, and finally the Harmony Guides.   I am looking for something that looks more complicated than it is (I am all about serene knitting), and is either reversible or just as attractive on one side as the other.   I will almost certainly focus my search on lace patterns.   However, the red old shale scarf shown here, while awesome straight from blocking, gets long and skinny very quickly. I may have to consider a stitch pattern with a little more structure in the hopes that it will hold it's shape better.

P.S.  I freely admit that Valentine's Day is a made-up "Hallmark" holiday, but that does not mean that I don't want to play.   The roses were a Valentine's Day gift from Hubby.  He is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment